- About Association AiR – What we do?
Association AiR is non-profit and non-government organisation from Sarajevo ; Bosnia and Herzegovina. Association AiR established at January 2013. and Center for dementia is branch of Association Air that start with work on 01.09.2013. The Project of Center for dementia includes a complet matter in connection persons with dementia, carers and guardian of person with dementia. This is the first and only Center of this type in B&H. We think that in our Region(Former Yugoslavia)our Center is unique. We know for existing ambulance on state clinics or public health centers, but none one Center for dementia.
Association“AiR “-Center for dementia work in four directions :
- Help persons with dementia in their homes –
to get proper diagnosis, proper therapy, appropriate conditions for accommodation, proper care, proper nutrition, etc.,
- Help for carers –
education, advisory assistance ( psychological and social) , exchange experience,
- Help persons with dementia and carers in Center for dementia:
- work with people with dementia – project daily and temporary center,
- for people which must be hospitalized the existence of opportunities for accommodation on a permanent base,
- Our Association is in talks with the governments about dementia issues:
- systems solutions care for persons with dementia and helping their families,
- system solutions for social and health care,
- on the database : number of patients, types of disease, types of therapy, progression of disease, accompanying diseases,
- strategies to prevent the occurrence and mitigate effects of dementia,
- monitoring and exchange experiences regarding efficiency therapy,
- working on proposals solutions Law on Social Welfare.
In Center for dementia work :
– renowned experts : neurologist-prof.dr.sc ; neuropsychiatrist-prof.dr.sc ; internist-doc.dr.sc. ; psychologist ; sociologist,
– development managers.
- About Bosnia and Herzegovina
- B&H society by 1992. can be defined as traditional (conventional) society. Families are composed of three generations which living in a common household. Each generation has had an average of three children. Stable life with activities planned for the future. Institutions of the community take care of the needs every member of their communities.
- From 1995., after aggression on B&H, new communities have changed structure of the population, different habits, different needs. Especially come to the fore social and educational differences within the community. New lifestyle changes society in more open type, but this openness is not enough.
- Today, the percentage of persons with dementia of different age group and health status are in increased. In this moment, we count with 110 – 180.000 ill people. The Part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federation of B&H work on new Law on social welfare from february, 2013. In the existing law, persons with dementia are not a category that are recognized by law. We have given comments on the law to correct this failure legislator.
- Association AiR – The part of Our actions
3.1. In 2015., the important step in changing of law is the Round table that was organize from Association AiR. Topic of Round table was “Dementia in the family in Canton Sarajevo “. The persons who was attended :Deputy Minister of Health, Deputy Minister of Labor and Social Policy, Deputy Minister of Justice of Sarajevo Canton, assistant director of public institution „Home health of Canton Sarajevo“, Head of Neurology UKC Sarajevo, Professor of Philosophy faculty, Department of Psychology. The round table was opened by the Mayor of Sarajevo Dr. Ivo Komsic. The conclusions of the round table are:
- Center for dementia is an institution of importance for the Canton Sarajevo and Bosnia, and the city government will help in promoting of Center and try to find an investor to build a modern facility for whose construction has required project and building permits.
- Faculty of Philosophy, University of Sarajevo and the Center for dementia should sign a protocol on cooperation in order to practical education of students of psychology.
- Medical school and center for dementia should establish institutional cooperation that the students psychogeriatric direction does the practice in Center for dementia . But the first we need to change the existing law.
- All participants agreed to give the initiative that in the working version of the Federal Law on Social Protection Legislator must introduce people with dementia as a distinct social category.
- Based on the conclusions of the round table, Ministry of Health of the Sarajevo Canton will give a written request to the Cantonal Health Insurance Fund that “memantine” put on the list of drugs which are subsidized by 100%.
3.2. As part of our plans, Center for dementia Sarajevo is made an agreement with two charitable associations for testing of theirs users. They are social cases and they are older at 65 years. Before, they did not have diagnose of dementia. The results were devastating. The symptoms of dementia had 52% of the tested, even though they are not the focus groups.
3.3. Association AiR Sarajevo will organize The First B&H symposium about dementia on theme “Different aspects in the treatment of dementia.” The symposium, we decided to organize as a first step towards developing a national strategy. The symposium will be held in September 2016. in cooperation with the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Sarajevo. This is the first step toward removing the stigma from the dementia, it is the start of public debate on this subject, opening technical discussions and research work of various bodies, institutions, associations and individuals. The Symposium will bring sublimated conclusion in mind Sarajevo / BH declaration which will be send on the signing from public and after that will go in BH Parliament for adoption. The plan is to symposium counts as professional education. A focus group of symposium are: a doctors of family medicine, neurologists and psychiatrists, internists, diabetologists and endocrinologists, nurses, psychologists and sociologists.